Category: Robotics > Characterization and Inspection > Wheeled/Tracked System
Reference # : Model No :
The Guardian is a remotely operated vehicle (ROV) for high-risk demanding environments, including improvised explosive device disposal (IEDD) and conventional munitions disposal (CMD).
The Guardian can deploy a range of weapons and tools to carry out hazardous tasks quickly and safely and provides extensive maneuverability and stability in challenging situations including obstacle climbing, stair climbing, and confined space navigation.
Width: 420mm (tracks) 610mm (wheels fitted)
Length: 840mm (drive configuration)
Height: 530mm (stowed configuration)
The Guardian’s hybrid extending / folding arm has been designed to be strong and robust allowing deployment of significant payloads with the arm extended and up to 30kg with the arm retracted. The arm extension capability avoids deployment difficulties in confined spaces often encountered with unfolding arm systems. The elbow joint provides “reach over” and “reach in” capability as required when deploying equipment into such areas as aircraft overhead lockers and car boots. Maximum vertical reach with the vehicle in “tip toe” mode is 2.6m.
Guardian ROV Mobility has a gap crossing capability of 500mm and a top speed of 2.8kph. The Guardian’s chassis has been developed to offer a highly stable and maneuverable platform. Track modules are able to move continuously through 360 degrees as independent front and rear pairs, ensuring great versatility in positioning, which in turn provides class leading obstacle negotiation capability and extremely stable stair climbing. The ability to significantly change the vehicles footprint ensures stability, allows extended arm reach when required and aids adjustment to minimum size when accessing confined spaces. Off road wheels are fitted to enhance the cross-country capability, while retaining the track modules to assist in obstacle negotiation. Maximum ground clearance has been maintained to prevent “beaching” on obstacles in uneven terrain. The Explosive Ordnance Disposal Control Guardian has four cameras on board. The control station is housed in an attaché style case and has been developed to offer the operator maximum situational awareness with minimum operator workload and intuitive control. Video images from the four vehicle cameras are displayed on a dedicated 17” (430mm) high brightness TFT display. Picture in picture capability allows display of multiple camera images in a variety of configurations. Key functions are achieved by dedicated controls whilst sub functions are controlled by a separate 10.4” (264mm) touch screen situated in the base of the case. The 3D vehicle mimic displayed on the touch screen is an accurate representation of the vehicle and its position and takes account of configuration and terrain position. This information allows the operator to automatically see potential instability or situations where actions such as weapon firings may impact on the vehicle. GPS is also included as standard to provide additional positional data. Communication between the vehicle and base station can be by either radio or fibre optic cable. The fibre optic cable can be deployed from either a passive or active “intelligent” spooler.
• Remote controlled
• Adaptable to any environment
• Easily controlled from a briefcase-style base station and TFT screen
• Compact and lightweight for ease of deployment
• Small footprint and flexibility allow operation in a variety of terrains and environments
• Track module positioning provides extensive maneuverability and stability in challenging situations including obstacle climbing, stair climbing, and confined space navigation
• Extending and multi-jointed arm provides reach over obstructions and in confined spaces such as aircraft overhead lockers
• Innovative payload head enables simple articulation and positioning of the payload against the chosen target
• Multi-camera ‘picture-in-picture’ video system optimizes visibility and situational awareness during vehicle maneuvering and payload deployment
• Proportional joystick control for precision operation
• Adaptable for special environments, can incorporate user specified or bespoke accessories